My Nine Lives Plus One

I am writing these thoughts about my childhood and how I was raised for my children and grandchildren. Kids, you never knew your great grandparents, nor your paternal grandfather, Elmo John Riddle, and I believe from these stories I write for you from the time I was born to Elmo & Nadine Martin Riddle, you may understand why Mom and Nana is the way she is! I love you, Tiffany, Mark, Tristen and Bryce--you are my everything!

Monday, November 16, 2015

Homer and Pauline, Part Two

I wrote yesterday that Homer and Pauline ran away and got married on December 18, 1943.  Homer was 22 and Pauline was 19, or at least this is what the marriage license states.  I now believe his age is stated incorrectly, since his birthdate was December 18, 1924, which would have made him 19 on that very day!  Pauline's birthdate was May 3, 1924, which would make her 19 also, so according to this information she may have been a few months older. 

 Pearlene, her niece, wrote me that Pauline's family found out about the elopement and were so angry about it that they sent Pauline's brother to bring her home.  He told my sweet Uncle Homer to leave and never see her again!  The brother who brought her home and said those horrible words to Uncle Homer was my friend Pearlene's father.  

A date shown on back of this beautiful picture I had saved all these years is '47.  This tells me that perhaps they continued to see each other afterwards, maybe for many years, and that makes me happy to know they didn't forget about each other.  

No comments:

Post a Comment