My Nine Lives Plus One

I am writing these thoughts about my childhood and how I was raised for my children and grandchildren. Kids, you never knew your great grandparents, nor your paternal grandfather, Elmo John Riddle, and I believe from these stories I write for you from the time I was born to Elmo & Nadine Martin Riddle, you may understand why Mom and Nana is the way she is! I love you, Tiffany, Mark, Tristen and Bryce--you are my everything!

Monday, March 7, 2011

The Beginning of My Nine Lives Plus One

Yes, I realize this is a very odd title.  I haven't actually had nine separate lives, as in "I've come back from someone else's."  It's just that I want to write about my life from its beginning and I feel I may have experienced around 10 lives, because I am almost 70 years old. 

This is the first blog I've tried to do, so bear with me as I learn, but I feel compelled to write because my children and grandchildren don't really know much about Mom and Nana, except that she exists and gives them goodies, takes them to movies and plays, attends their ballgames, dance recitals, cheerleading events, band performances, and baptisms.

I am pretty certain that my beginning started out great for my young parents, but probably went downhill right afterwards.  I was born right after the Pearl Harbor disaster on December 7, 1941.  My birth was probably about eight to ten hours afterwards, on December 8.  I'm almost certain that I'll never forget how old I am because the media announces the anniversary of Pearl Harbor every year, and if I lie about my age, I'll most likely be caught.

 Then my lovely, young mother (age 17) dies five weeks later from what they tell me was a ruptured appendix.

Nadine Martin with Brothers and Baby Sister, Ruth
Nadine Martin Riddle, My Mother
Nadine  (age 6 or 7) with brothers, Fred & Ernest

5 comments:

  1. I am SO happy to hear that you are doing this!! I will certainly enjoy reading about your early days and how the events of those early days molded and shaped the woman you are today!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful way to begin a blog, Joyce. And you're right in that your family will find this blog such a wonderful gift of information. Please keep me aware of future posts as you make them. This will also turn out to be a wonderful gift to yourself as well.

    With love, June

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have chosen a really good picture for your profile.....I really like that one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so proud of you Mom! I've always heard stories but it is so great to have them in writing! You are Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you my daughter. It's all for you and Mark.

    ReplyDelete