My Nine Lives Plus One

I am writing these thoughts about my childhood and how I was raised for my children and grandchildren. Kids, you never knew your great grandparents, nor your paternal grandfather, Elmo John Riddle, and I believe from these stories I write for you from the time I was born to Elmo & Nadine Martin Riddle, you may understand why Mom and Nana is the way she is! I love you, Tiffany, Mark, Tristen and Bryce--you are my everything!

Thursday, March 24, 2011

My Grandfather, John Wesley Riddle

"In remembrance of our beloved Father that we loved so very dear,
We have many precious memories we cherish every year.

We loved this grand old man and it makes us very glad
To be able to wear the Riddle name, to have called this great man, Dad!

No great fame or fortune ever came his way,
He was rich in love and kindness and he proved it every day.

He always helped his friends and neighbors for in the Lord this is right,
He often let the unfortunate stranger into his home to spend the night.

He didn't go to church because it looked right or do a favor for someone's bid,
Loving the Lord and wanting to please Him made our Daddy to the things he did.

When he grew old, his health got poor, his body too weak to carry on,
He gave his all and he was ready when the good Lord called him home.

But one day soon we shall see him again and all the others that went before,
We will have a great family reunion which will last forevermore!"
     --Written by Elmo John Riddle on November 1966 for his Father, John Wesley Riddle

John Wesley Riddle, my Grandfather, was born on January 5, 1887, and passed away at the age of 75 on May 10, 1962. 

Grandpa Riddle was a Christian who tithed regularly, attended church every Sunday and Wednesday night, and served as the Sunday School Superintendent for over 20 years.  He could practically preach a sermon during the Sunday School service.  Only you Southern Baptists know what I am talking about.  I remember a little boy once told his mother that he liked Brother Riddle's sermons better than the regular preacher's.  Grandpa used to get "happy" at church and would shout out loud.  He couldn't stop sometimes and he would go outside the building and we could hear him shouting and laughing.  Although it was kind of embarrassing to me at the time, I realize now that it was Grandpa worshipping and showing his love to God and giving thanks for everything.  Grandpa become so happy and overjoyed that he could not contain his joyfulness within--he had to "make a joyful noise".  I know our Grandpa is in Heaven today having the time of his life, probably whooping it up every day! 

Grandpa loved to fox hunt and he had several old hound dogs in a kennel behind the house.  Grandma had to give up her chickens when he started raising hunting dogs.  She really hated those hounds and their fleas.  They were quiet dogs and didn't bark at all, because Grandpa trained them not to yelp and bark except when they were chasing foxes.  In another blog I will relate the story of my first and only fox hunt with Grandpa and his hunting pals one summer night.  It certainly was not what I was expecting.

Grandpa Riddle was a tall, nice-looking man with snow-white hair.  They told me his hair turned prematurely white at an early age.  He was a farmer but when he and Grandma moved to town, he began working for the county grading roads and drove a huge yellow tractor called a caterpillar.  All of us grandkids loved to climb and play on that big yellow tractor.  He always drove it home from work and parked it in the side yard and didn't care if we played on it.  Grandpa graded country roads as well as some of the graveled roads in town since we didn't have any paved roads back then.  People would stop by our house many times and tell him how much they appreciated his work, and mention some neighbor's road back in the hills that needed grading.  He would always tried to accommodate everyone's needs.

Grandpa worked hard and came home every night dusty and greasy, but I loved that smell!  It was the smell of tobacco, dirt and grease all mixed together.  When I walk into a car repair garage and smell the mixture of grease and oil, it isn't too offensive to me--it merely brings back good memories of a fine man, John Wesley Riddle, who drove that big yellow caterpillar--the Grandpa I loved so dearly.

Make a joyful noise unto the Lord, all ye lands.  Serve the Lord with gladness;
come before his presencce with singing.  Psalm 100:1-2

1 comment: