My Nine Lives Plus One

I am writing these thoughts about my childhood and how I was raised for my children and grandchildren. Kids, you never knew your great grandparents, nor your paternal grandfather, Elmo John Riddle, and I believe from these stories I write for you from the time I was born to Elmo & Nadine Martin Riddle, you may understand why Mom and Nana is the way she is! I love you, Tiffany, Mark, Tristen and Bryce--you are my everything!

Saturday, November 14, 2015

A Wonderful Uncle

This story has a beginning, although the middle may be a little sketchy, and I am trying to put a good spin on an ending, which I only recently discovered.  A love story that happened around 1941, one that I never knew until a few days ago.

If you have read any of my blog, by now you may know a little about my history but not so much about our Riddle Family history, which is an important segment to the story I am about to relate.

I have written about my grandparents, my father, my mother, my stepmother, my siblings, but little about my aunts and uncles.  My grandfather, John Wesley Riddle, was born on January 5, 1887.  My grandmother, Jean Ella Doyle, was born on June 12, 1894.  I do not have any information about when they were married but I believe they were very young.  They never mentioned the day they wed, nor did they celebrate any wedding anniversaries that I can recall.  Not once in those 17 years I lived with them did they mention it was their wedding anniversary.

They raised nine children but I recall my grandmother may have mentioned losing a child during childbirth or a miscarriage; however, I am unclear about that.  Their first child was a boy they called Council,  because they lived in a town called Council Grove.    After Council, three girls were born--I think Grace was oldest, followed by Velma and then Edna. Next came a son they called Leo, then my father, Elmo John, followed by twin girls, Vera and Eara.  By this time there were five girls and three sons.  Soon after the twins were born, a beautiful little "baby" boy, Homer Yuel Riddle, was born in 1924.  All of these children have passed away and gone to Heaven; however, I am not too sure about Uncle Leo, but we like to believe he made it there too.

The next few posts will be about my favorite Uncle Homer Y. Riddle.  Every child has a favorite Uncle (or Aunt) and he was mine, as well as my cousins who also claim him as their favorite Uncle.

Grandparents, Jean Ella and John Wesley Riddle. Picture was taken during their stay in the Nursing Center a few months before Grandpa died.

No comments:

Post a Comment