My Nine Lives Plus One

I am writing these thoughts about my childhood and how I was raised for my children and grandchildren. Kids, you never knew your great grandparents, nor your paternal grandfather, Elmo John Riddle, and I believe from these stories I write for you from the time I was born to Elmo & Nadine Martin Riddle, you may understand why Mom and Nana is the way she is! I love you, Tiffany, Mark, Tristen and Bryce--you are my everything!

Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Homer and Pauline, Final Chapter Years Later

I believe that it wasn't not very long after the picture of Homer and Pauline was taken in 1945 that Uncle Homer enlisted in the Army.  He was sent to Japan around 1947 and then went to Korea to help lay radio wire communication. 

Did he ever write to Pauline?  Did he send her pictures too? And if he did, maybe those pictures and letters were confiscated by her parents and thrown away.  We will never know what happened after that or was he being a good Christian, respectful of his elders, and did what was asked of him by Pauline's parents to stay away from her?   We do know, however, that many years later after the death of his second wife, Opal in 1987, that he contacted Pauline and sent her flowers on her birthday.  Pauline had been married for some time by then and her niece told me this made her husband furious.  It was around that time Pauline probably felt the need to tell her children who this man was and why he was sending her flowers.  He never got the chance to see her again, as far as I know.
 
Uncle Homer passed away on June 2, 1996, at the age of 71, and is buried next to His wife, Opal, in a small cemetary on base at Ft. Sill, Oklahoma.   Pauline passed away on August 19, 2000, at the age of 76.  

I'll have  some more beautiful stories about Homer's post-war romance with a beautiful lady whom I loved very much, Opal Juanita  Plank.   They were married in 1951, and loved each as much as anyone could love one another, I felt that love just being with them from time to time.  I didn't feel that way at first, but that's another story for this blog.   I believe Homer and Opal were truly made for each other.  Our sweet Aunt Opal passed away on August 15, 1987, at a very young age of 57. They had two beautiful daughters, Joy and Cheri.  Cheri has been helping me put together events I couldn't recall.


No comments:

Post a Comment