My Nine Lives Plus One

I am writing these thoughts about my childhood and how I was raised for my children and grandchildren. Kids, you never knew your great grandparents, nor your paternal grandfather, Elmo John Riddle, and I believe from these stories I write for you from the time I was born to Elmo & Nadine Martin Riddle, you may understand why Mom and Nana is the way she is! I love you, Tiffany, Mark, Tristen and Bryce--you are my everything!

Saturday, June 18, 2011

Business School

On a warm and sunny day in August 1959, I left that small, dusty country town and traveled on a bus to Tulsa with my Grandmother.  We were met by my Aunt, one of my Father's twin sisters, at the bus station where she then took me to the business school downtown to register for my classes to start in a few weeks.
I enrolled in my classes and in exchange for room and board, the school assigned to live with a local family as their nanny and do light housekeeping for $25 a month.  After all, kids, this was 1959 and $25 a month was adequate for bus rides, snacks and things.  My Aunt then drove me over to a beautiful two-story home around 23rd & Lewis Avenue to meet my new family.  They had two school-age girls, but the older girl was away at that time in a hospital undergoing a yearly routine of physical therapy.  I learned that she had been in an automobile accident when she was around two when they lived in New Orleans.  Her mother was driving and she was standing in the front seat.  Very sad, very tragic--I guess seat belts weren't used much, or there were none in that car--it was around 1947 when it happened because she was around 12 when I met her.  The younger sister was seven.  They were sweet girls but the 12-year old could be a little stinker at times, but I felt she was within her rights to be that way I suppose.  I ran into her several years later at the mall being wheeled around by a couple of kids.  I stopped and visited and she told me she had married and the kids were hers.  She looked happy and still beautiful.  I don't know if she is still around because I have not seen her since that time and we lost touch after a while.
I was a little homesick at first but the girls and school kept me pretty busy.  I made some friends at school and would visit my cousins in Turley on the weekends and attended the First Baptist Church on Sundays.  It was turning out to be a pretty good adventure for me so far.  I learned how to get on and "off" the city buses, learned that pay phones didn't give change, and found out you could actually use more than one fork at a table setting. 
The family always drank wine at dinner and I was offered my first glass of wine one night, took a big gulp, and thought I would croak right there.  I was not too anxious to try that again for a very long time.   They never said a word nor laughed at me but I imagine it was difficult for the Mister to keep a straight face because mine was probably lit up like a Christmas tree!
The father had a business in Guatemala and would be gone for six months at a time, and their mom did public speaking at women's clubs.  She was a celebrity of sorts, being from India, and would wear a beautiful sari when she had speaking engagements.   She was a beautiful woman especially when she would dress in her sari.  Her mother came to visit one year from Calcutta and stayed six months.  She introduced me to Indian cuisine, which I dearly loved!  My mouth would start salivating the minute I walked in the door from school and smell the curry, and she would love to see me eat.  I think I put on an extra 15 pounds that year!  Her mother was the most fasinating woman I ever met.  She would talk for hours about her life in Calcutta and I just couldn't believe the kind of life she endured there.  I wish now that I had taken notes when she would talk about her life in Calcutta.
When I wasn't attending school, I was practicing my shorthand strokes, playing with the girls or writing letters to a boy from back home who was stationed in Alaska, and letters my Grandparents.  They didn't seem to be worried about me too much--guess they didn't realize how much I had to learn dealing with a whole new life, children to take care of, maneuvering around town on those slow, smelly city buses, and dreaming about a good life I hoped to have some day.  However, I am certain that Grandmother prayed daily for my safety. 

I finished business school in about nine months, moved in with my Aunt and Uncle and five cousins in Turley, a surburb of Tulsa, and landed my first job with an independent oil company owned by three business men.  It was on the fourth floor of a building on Fourth Street & Cheyenne right over the Coney Island.  Every morning around 11:00 the smell of those coneys would waft through the vents and make me so hungry.  I could  hardly wait until time for lunch.  Coneys became my steady diet for a while.  Two coneys and a coke, for about a $1.  You cannot buy one coney nowadays for less than $2, and I have yet to find any that tasted as great as the ones from the downtown Coney Island!  I think it is still there today.  So at this point, I was beginning to love my new life! 



Ironing outfit for job interview!


I shared a room with Cousin Sharon.

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed this so much....I'm happy you are starting to write about your early days in Tulsa.

    ReplyDelete